Monday, September 4, 2017

Semana 8 - The Week of Blessings (and water) Falling from Heaven

Hey everyone! I'm so glad that you've taken the time out of your day to read my email here!

So much has happened here in Chicago in these short two weeks. (I wonder what will happen in two years) but I have loved every minute of my time here. Let's see what's been happening here.

Monday was Preparation Day, so we did our laundry (it cost us $5.50 to do a single load of laundry like what the heck) and then we went to the store and bought some food and then we headed into Downtown. I bought this super nice backpack and a Chicago flag and also I got this super nice bike for a really good price! The backpack is part of the Spanksh Missionary tradition and experience. They are these bags called Chrome Backpacks. Suler high quality and water proof which is important for rainy chicago! It was awesome to finally start to get the things I've needed for a while now! Elder Garcia and I had set some pretty lofty goals for this week and we tried our best to achieve them and on some days we did! Our goal was to contact at least 15 people a day and try and tell them about the Happiness of the Gospel. On Monday, we did just that! We contacted 17 people and we found this family who saidnthat they had been looking for a church for a while because they can't feel the same spirit they used to there! So we have an appointment with them this coming week! That was a major blessing a for me I feel. On Tuesday, we set out to do the same thing, but as soon as we arrived at the spot we contact in, one of the local crazy ladies approached us. She asked us what we do exactly. Since she asked us in English, Elder Garcia gave me this look that meant I had to respond. I told her that we teach people about Jesus. She then asked what else we do. I told her that that was it. Only teaching about Jesus. She said that she believed in Jesus and since he taught us about brotherly love that she should get a hug. I declined. She then took her beer can in her other hand and side hugged me. She then proceeded to ask me for a kiss. I again, politely declined and asked her to please stop touching me. Her friend said that I had asked kindly so she should let me go. So she did and walked off. I was literally so scared out of my mind haha but after walking around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes I felt better. But it was freaking weird. We then decided to try a different area in hopes that she would leave us be. We rode our bikes over to another street and as we begin to lock up our bikes, Elder Garcia looks up and starts shoving his lock back in his bag. I turn around and lo and behold, crazy lady is back. So I literally shoved my lock in my bag and got on my bike and we booked it away amid laughter and catcalls from this crazy lady and her friends. And when i asked Elder Garcia about it a few days later, he said oh yeah she was once a man. I asked him in bewilderment if he was serious. He confirmed his statement that yes indeed she was once a man. These kinda things could only haplen to me in my infinite luck. hahaha so eventful day.

The members of the Ward here are honestly the best. We are fed almost every night and my Zone Leader, Elder Bradford warned me to be careful and not to get fat. So that's always a good goal. But I really enjoy all the real, authentic Mexican food. It's so rich and flavorful and amazing. Everyone here has a plate of food and then they get a tortilla and just load it up will all the food. It doesn't matter what the food is, meat, beans, rice, salad, you name it, it's in the tortilla. Its actually awesome.

I went on exchanges with Elder Bradford this week on Saturday. As we were in a dinner appointment wiht a member family, it suddenly starts POURING rain. And elder Bradford and I look at each other and think crap. We had ridden our bikes there. So after we shared a brief message with them, we ran out to our bikes, unlocked them from the stop sign and then we rode. Through the cold rain. For about 15 minutes. It. Was. Awesome. It was so much fun. I was literally drenched but it was SO MUCH fun! So that was a major blessing to have some fun. (I also almost got hit by a car but that's beside the point)

But really, I am having the time of my life out here. We work hard and do almost everything we can to give people the opportunity to have the platitude of the Gospel in their lives. One of my greatest joys out here is to see how willing people are to discuss their beliefs and joys in their lives with us: A tall white kid who can speak broken Spanish, and a kid from Mexico who can speak Spanish much better. It give me great joy to know that everyone we meet is a beloved child of God. And that nothing would give God greater joy than to have them return to him after this life. The only way we can truly give God this happiness and joy is through the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that the message I share with them is true. I know that Jesus Christ is at the head of this church. I know that he has called a prophet today to lead and guide us all. I know that I am here to help the people of Chicago come unto Christ and be eternally happy. The church is so true. I know it. With every fiber of my being. I know you all can too.

I love all of you so much. Les extraño mucho. I hope that my email finds all of you well and happy.

As always,

Elder Tracy

PHOTOS
One of the members sons told me to say cheese so I said queso and then busted up laughing and he captured that moment
Gotta take what Texas i can find out here.
Elder Bradford and I after the rainy bike ride so much fun
My new bike and backpack that are actually the bomb
Oh and in the MTC, Elder Moser and I had a gravity fight.








No comments:

Post a Comment